Explore the History of Roscoe Conkling Park
Roscoe Conkling Park was the first park developed by T.R. Proctor in 1909. Throughout the years the park has added several Utica attractions within its 385 acres, including the Parkway Recreation Center, Val Bialis Ski and Sled Center, the New York Energy Zone, the Eagle Monument and Picnic Area, Utica Zoo, Valley View Golf Course (designed by Robert Trent Jones), and the South Woods Switch Backs.
The South Woods Switch Back area of the park still retains areas of vegetation much like what early settlers to the region would have seen – ironwood, basswood, viburnum, and other early trees and shrubs.
More to Explore
- Explore the 1.8-mile trail system — “The Switch Backs”
- Bring the family for a picnic at the Switch Backs pavilion
- Test yourself by doing the Boilermaker Development Run
- Dogs are welcome and love to explore the park
- Fore! Play a round on the 18-hole golf course designed by Trent Jones Jr.
- Take the kids to visit the animals at the Utica Zoo
- Fun playground area developed by KaBOOM!
- Play tennis on one of the 18 public courts
- Sledding hill and cross-country skiing trails
Utica, NY 13501